|3 Months Ended|
Mar. 31, 2020
|Business Combinations [Abstract]|
NOTE 3 – ACQUISITIONS
KPG of Anna LLC and KPG of Harrisburg LLC
Effective October 1, 2019, the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation approved the Company’s acquisition of (i)100% of the ownership interests of KPG of Anna LLC and KPG of Harrisburg LLC, the Company’s two cannabis-licensed clients that operate medical marijuana dispensaries in the state of Illinois (both entities collectively, the “KPGs”), and (ii) the 40% ownership interests not already owned by the Company of Mari Holdings IL LLC, the Company’s subsidiary which owns the real estate in which the KPGs’ dispensaries are located (“Mari-IL”). On such date, 1,000,000 shares of the Company’s common stock, representing the entire purchase price, were issued to the sellers of the KPGs and Mari-IL, and these entities became wholly-owned subsidiaries of the Company.
The acquisition was accounted for in accordance with ASC 805. The following table summarizes the allocation of the purchase price to the fair value of the assets acquired and liabilities assumed on the acquisition date:
Based on an impairment analysis performed shortly before the filing date of this report, the Company determined the intangibles of approximately $2.1 million arising from this transaction were not impaired.
The Harvest Foundation LLC
In August 2019, the Company entered into a purchase agreement to acquire 100% of the ownership interests of The Harvest Foundation LLC (“Harvest”), the Company’s cannabis-licensed client in the state of Nevada. The acquisition is conditioned upon legislative approval of the transaction, which is expected to occur by the end of 2020. Upon consummation, the operations of Harvest will be consolidated into the Company’s financial statements.
The purchase price is comprised of the issuance of (i) 1,000,000 shares of the Company’s common stock, in the aggregate, to two owners of Harvest, which as a good faith deposit, were issued upon execution of the purchase agreement, (ii) $1.2 million of the Company’s common stock at closing, based on the closing price of the common stock on the day prior to legislative approval of the transaction, and (iii) warrants to purchase 400,000 shares of the Company’s common stock at an exercise price equal to the closing price of the Company’s common stock on the day prior to legislative approval of the transaction. These shares are restricted and will be returned to the Company in the event the transaction does not close by a date certain. As the transaction has not been consummated, the issued shares were recorded at par value.
Kind Therapeutics USA Inc.
In December 2018, the Company entered into a memorandum of understanding (“MOU”) to acquire Kind Therapeutics USA Inc. (“Kind”), its client in Maryland that holds licenses for the cultivation, production, and dispensing of medical cannabis. The MOU provides for a total purchase price of $6.3 million in cash, 2,500,000 shares of the Company’s common stock, and other consideration. The acquisition is subject to the approval by the Maryland Medical Cannabis Commission, which approval is not expected prior to March 2021.
Also in December 2018, MariMed Advisors Inc, the Company’s wholly owned subsidiary, and Kind entered into a management agreement pursuant to which the Company provides comprehensive management services in connection with the business and operations of Kind, and Mari Holdings MD LLC, the Company’s majority-owned subsidiary, entered into a 20-year lease with Kind for its utilization of the Company’s 180,000 square foot cultivation and production facility in Hagerstown, MD. Additionally, in October 2019, Mari Holdings MD LLC purchased a 9,000 square foot building in Anne Arundel County, MD for the development of a dispensary which would be leased to Kind.
The sellers of Kind have attempted to renegotiate the terms of the MOU. Even though the MOU contains all the definitive material terms with respect to the acquisition transaction and confirms the management and lease agreements, the selling parties now allege that the MOU is not an enforceable agreement. The Company engaged with the sellers in good faith in an attempt to reach updated terms acceptable to both parties, however the sellers failed to reciprocate in good faith, resulting in an impasse, and both parties commencing legal proceedings which are pending in the Circuit Court for Washington County, Maryland. For further information, see Note 18 – Commitments and Contingencies and Part II, Item 1. Legal Proceedings in this report.
In May 2019, the Company entered into a purchase agreement to acquire MediTaurus LLC (“MediTaurus”), a company formed and owned by Jokubas Ziburkas PhD, a neuroscientist and leading authority on CBD and its interactions with the brain and endocannabinoid system. MediTaurus currently operates in the United States and Europe and has developed proprietary CBD formulations sold under its Florance™ brand.
Pursuant to the purchase agreement, the Company acquired 70% of MediTaurus on June 1, 2019, and expects to acquire the remaining 30% of MediTaurus on June 1, 2020. The purchase price for the initial 70% was $2.8 million, comprised of cash payments totaling $720,000 and 520,000 shares of the Company’s common stock valued at $2,080,000. The purchase price of the remaining 30%, payable in cash or stock at the Company’s option, shall be equal to a defined percentage of the Company’s receipts from the licensing of certain MediTaurus technology and products that existed on June 1, 2019 (all such technology and products, the “MT Property”). For a period of ten years following June 1, 2020, certain former members of MediTaurus shall be paid a royalty on the Company’s receipts from the licensing of MT Property, with the royalty percentage commencing at 10% and decreasing to 2% over time.
The acquisition was accounted for in accordance with ASC 10. The following table summarizes the allocation, adjusted in September 2019, of the purchase price to the fair value of the assets acquired and liabilities assumed on the acquisition date:
Based on a valuation of MediTaurus in late 2019, the goodwill on the transaction was adjusted to approximately $2.7 million, which was written off in expectation of the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on MediTaurus’ business.
AgriMed Industries of PA LLC
In July 2018, the Company entered into a purchase agreement to acquire 100% of the ownership interests of AgriMed Industries of PA LLC (“AgriMed”), an entity that holds a license from the state of Pennsylvania for the cultivation of cannabis. The purchase price was comprised of $8 million, payable in stock and cash, and the assumption of certain liabilities of AgriMed. In February 2019, the Company commenced legal proceedings against AgriMed seeking specific performance of the purchase agreement.
In May 2019, the dispute between the parties was resolved through the cash payment to the Company of $3.1 million and other good and valuable consideration, in exchange for the Company relinquishing its rights under the purchase agreement and releasing its claims against AgriMed. The net amount of approximately $2,949,000, representing the cash payment less legal fees and write-offs of assets and supplies, was recorded in Other Non-Operating Income in the Company’s consolidated statement of operations for the year ended December 31, 2019.
The entire disclosure for a business combination (or series of individually immaterial business combinations) completed during the period, including background, timing, and recognized assets and liabilities. The disclosure may include leverage buyout transactions (as applicable).
Reference 1: http://fasb.org/us-gaap/role/ref/legacyRef